Physics- Bachelor of Arts

For information, contact the Department of Physics, 217 Kreger Hall, 513-529-5625.

Miami offers both a Bachelor of Arts (A.B.) and a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in physics. The A.B. degree is for those students wishing to acquire a good background in physical science to complement work in other areas. The A.B. degree is especially well suited for persons desiring teacher licensure in physics and those preparing for careers in medicine, law, or business. The B.S. degree prepares students for graduate study or employment in physics or physics-related fields. The Engineering Physics and Biological Physics B.S. degrees are described elsewhere in the College of Arts and Science section.

Teacher Licensure

Students who wish to combine teacher licensure with an Arts and Science major must observe the rules, procedures, and restrictions pertaining to admission to a licensure cohort as outlined in the College of Education, Health and Society chapter. For information, contact the Office of Student Services in the College of Education, Health and Society, 202 McGuffey Hall, 513-529-6418.

Program Requirements: Bachelor of Arts

(47-51 semester hours)

Select one of the following:5-9
Calculus I
and Calculus II
Calculus II
Select the following:
MTH 252Calculus III4
PHY 191
PHY 192
General Physics with Laboratory I
and General Physics with Laboratory II
PHY 286Introduction to Computational Physics3
PHY 281Contemporary Physics I: Foundations3
PHY 282Contemporary Physics II: Frontiers3
PHY 292Electronic Instrumentation2
PHY 293Contemporary Physics Laboratory2
PHY 294Laboratory in Electronic Instrumentation2
PHY 401Physics Assessment Examination0
Select three hours of physics courses numbered 300-399 or above 410 with written approval of your physics advisor 13
Select ten hours of related courses with written approval from your physics advisor 210
Total Credit Hours47-51

Students seeking the Bachelor of Arts in Physics meet the College of Arts and Science writing in the major requirement by completing PHY 293, PHY 294, and either PHY 488 or an independent study PHY course by petition.