Course Registration and Other Regulations

Office of the University Registrar
106 Campus Avenue Building
Student Services - 513-529-8701

Faculty/Staff Services - 513-529-8703

Academic Calendar

Important academic dates and deadlines are published in the Academic Calendar online at Dates are subject to change without notice.

Miami ID Card

University registration includes the issue and validation of your student identification card. ID cards are issued in 34 Campus Avenue Building. Regional students should go to the Office of IT services on their campus for ID cards.

Course Offerings

Course offerings and other registration information are available online through myMiami ( (log-in required) and (log-in not required). Course offerings and availability are subject to change without notice.


New undergraduate students are required to meet with an academic advisor to select their required courses and electives. First year students register during Summer Orientation in June. Continuing students are encouraged to contact their advisors for further academic and career counseling before registering.

Register for classes at Miami University online through myMiami/BannerWeb ( and receive immediate confirmation of your schedule. You can register, confirm and change your schedule through BannerWeb only on the assigned days and at the assigned times.

Before you can register, the system will ask you to supply emergency contact information. The university requires that you provide emergency contact information so that we may readily notify a family member or significant other in case of an emergency or should a critical matter arise.

You are required to provide your local contact information and the name of a family member/guardian/spouse or another significant person and their contact information. You will be delayed in registering for your next semester courses until you enter the requested information. All students are also required to sign a Financial Responsibility Agreement every fall and spring semester. The system will not allow you to register until you have signed the agreement.

Registration and Graduate Credit

Before registering for courses, consult your advisor to make sure that you are meeting your degree requirements.

Minimum and Maximum Registration

The maximum number of graduate credit hours that a graduate student who does not hold an assistantship can register for in a regular semester is 18. Graduate students not holding an assistantship are limited to no more than nine credit hours per single summer term. Students with a need to exceed the maximum graduate credit hour limits must file a petition with the Dean of the Graduate School prior to the first day of the semester.

Students who are employed full time are strongly encouraged to keep their enrollment at six credit hours or less during a semester.

All graduate student recipients of assistantships or tuition waivers must register for at least 9 graduate semester hours and may register for as many as 18 total (undergraduate and graduate) hours per semester.

Grant-in-aid recipients must register for at least 9 graduate hours during each semester and must register for six graduate hours in a single summer term or 12 graduate hours in more than one summer term.

A student holding a dissertation scholarship must register for at least 9 graduate semester hours and may register for as many as 18 hours of graduate credit per semester.

Change of Status or Program

Any change of graduate standing, such as moving from continuing graduate status (CGS) to degree status, must be approved by your major department or division and the Graduate School. To change from continuing graduate status to regular or conditional standing, you must reapply to the Graduate School.

Students with a grade point average below 3.00 who wish to change majors and/or degree programs must have approval of the Student Petitions Committee of the Graduate Council.

Transfer Credit

Credit for grades of B or better earned at other accredited graduate schools may be applied toward a graduate degree at Miami University. Transfer credit will not be granted for grades of B- or less. “Credit” or “pass” grades are accepted only if approved by the Student Petitions Committee of Graduate Council.

Extension or correspondence work is not accepted for credit.

Transferred courses may not exceed the age limit of five years for the master’s degree and seven years for the doctorate.

To transfer credit, first obtain an official transcript from your other institution (if your advisor does not already have one), and then consult with your advisor. If transfer of credit is recommended, your advisor will send a memorandum of recommendation, with your transcript, to the Graduate School. The dean of the Graduate School will approve your transfer of credit if the above criteria are met, and the Registrar’s office will post the transferred credit to your Miami record. Grades of transferred credit are not posted to a Miami record or counted in a grade point average.

Changes of Registration

Course registration may only be changed in the prescribed time stated in a student's registration time ticket and the University academic calendar. No change is official until the registration transaction is recorded in the student registration system.

Adding a Course

Students may add full semester/term courses via Bannerweb through the third day of the semester/term (including weekends/holidays). After Bannerweb closes, students may be added by department/instructor authorization through close of business on the fifth day of the semester/term (including weekends/holidays).

Students may add sprint courses via Bannerweb, or be added by department/instructor authorization, through the second day of the sprint part of term.

Independent work permits must be submitted prior to or during the first week of the semester to be assigned a full semester, summer or winter term course. Those permits submitted after the first week will be assigned the next available sprint part of term in which the work is to be completed.

During the add period, a department/instructor may refuse to accept a student request to add if, in the department/instructor's judgement, too much subject matter has already been covered. 

Departments or programs may choose to approve the student request in addition to or in place of the class instructor. 

Dropping a Course

Students may drop via Bannerweb full semester/term courses through the third day of the semester/term or through the first two calendar days of any sprint part of term (including weekends/holidays). After Bannerweb closes, students must contact the course instructor to request to be dropped from the course. Instructors approving drops use the online course drop process and the student and instructor are notified via email when the drop is processed.

Dropping a course is a formal administrative procedure; merely ceasing to attend class is equivalent to formally dropping the course through Bannerweb or with instructor permission.

Before dropping a course, a student is encouraged to contact their lenders and insurance agents to determine continued eligibility for loan deferments and insurance coverage before taking an action that will change their enrollment status to less than full-time or a lesser increment of part-time. Dropping a course is a formal administrative procedure; merely ceasing to attend class is not the same as dropping a course. A student may drop a course after the first week of the class up to during the first 20 percent of the course, in which case no grade or other designation will appear on the student’s official record. Students should refer to the Academic Calendar ( for specific academic deadline dates.

Withdrawing from a Course

Withdrawing from a course is a formal administrative procedure; merely ceasing to attend class is not equivalent to formally dropping the course through Bannerweb or with instructor permission. Before withdrawing from a course, a student should consult with his or her instructor and academic advisor. A student may withdraw from a course after the first 20 percent of the course and, ordinarily, before the end of 60 percent of the course. A grade of W will appear on the student’s official record.  A grade of W is not calculated in the student’s grade point average, and credit hours graded with W do not count in enrollment status. Refunds follow University policy, available via the One Stop website at Students should refer to the Academic Calendar on the One Stop website for specific academic deadline dates. Students are strongly encouraged to contact their lenders and insurance agents to determine continued eligibility for loan deferments and insurance coverage before taking an action that will change their enrollment status to less than full-time.

After the first 20 percent of a course through the end of the first 60 percent, students must contact the course instructor to request to be withdrawn from the course. Instructors approving withdrawal use the online course drop/withdrawal process and the student and instructor are notified via email when the drop/withdrawal is processed.

  1. After 60 percent of the course is complete, a student may no longer withdraw from a course, unless a petition is approved by the Interdivisional Committee of Advisors. The petition must include the signatures of the course instructor and the student’s academic or divisional advisor. The petition must also describe and document the extenuating circumstances (extraordinary circumstances usually beyond the student’s control) that form the grounds of the petition. If the petition for withdrawal is approved, the student will be withdrawn from the course with a grade of W. If the petition is not approved, the student will be expected to remain in the course (see Student Handbook, Exceptions to the Scholastic Regulations). The withdrawal deadline is 5:00 p.m. on the last Friday of the term’s classes preceding exam week, or if a sprint or accelerated class, 5:00 p.m. on the last meeting date of that class.

  2. Only in rare circumstances will a petition to withdraw from a course after 60 percent of the course is complete be approved for reasons of academic performance alone.
  3. When possible, a student should continue to attend class until the Interdivisional Committee of Advisors has acted on his or her petition. Non-attendance does not void financial responsibility or a grade of F.

If a student is found guilty of academic dishonesty in a class and withdraws from the class, the student will receive the grade of F for the class, and a notation of academic dishonesty will be posted directly beneath the class on the academic record.

Course Section Change

To change sections online, you must drop the section in which you are currently enrolled, then add the new section. Because many students may be competing for available space in the same course, there is a significant risk that you will lose your place in the course altogether.

Credit Hour Loads for Undergraduate Students

A full-time undergraduate student must register for at least 12 hours of academic work in a semester or term and shall be subject to all the rules, regulations, and fees governing regular Miami University student.

A part-time undergraduate student, i.e., carrying fewer than 12 credit hours in a semester or term, must be a resident of Oxford or must commute from his or her home or attend one of the Regional campuses.

The maximum credit-hour limit for an undergraduate student is based upon courses taken at all locations of Miami University and is limited to 20 credit hours in a fall or spring semester. The limit for all summer terms combined is 16 credit hours or 1.3 credit hours per week for overlapping summer terms. The limit for winter term is 6 credit hours. A student who needs to exceed the maximum credit-hour limits must obtain permission from the dean of his or her division.

Students may register for one to five hours of independent study each semester (no more than 10 per year). Registration for each course is in accordance with the level of instruction. Independent study projects must be approved by the instructor and the department chair.

Independent Work

Independent work comes in two forms:

  1. internship or co-operative education, and
  2. independent study.

For more information, see Special Course Numbers in the Courses of Instruction General Information section.

Repeating a Course

Consult the University Policy Library for full information on the undergraduate Course Repeat Policy.

Undergraduate Student Classification

Students who have met entrance requirements are admitted to freshman rank. Students with at least 30 but less than 64 earned credit hours are ranked as sophomores. Students with at least 64 but less than 96 earned credit hours are ranked as juniors. Students with 96 or more earned credit hours are ranked as seniors.

Graduate-Level Courses for Undergraduates

Undergraduate students who have earned 64 or more credit hours and have a GPA of 3.00 or greater may request permission to enroll in 500 or 600 level graduate courses. Students must obtain permission from the instructor, the department chair, and the Dean of the Graduate School. Students may double-count up to 12 hours of graduate course work toward their undergraduate degree. With permission of the appropriate advisor(s) and dean(s) or their designee(s), these students may count the graduate courses toward their major, minor, electives, and university requirements.  Graduate courses taken in this manner will be treated as graduate level CGS (non-degree) courses. A maximum of 12 hours of graduate continuing graduate status courses may count toward a graduate degree program and only 3 hours may be applied to a certificate program at Miami.

Greater Cincinnati College Connection (GC3)

Full-time Miami students can take courses through the Greater Cincinnati College Connection during the academic year and summer. This association can provide courses that are not generally available at the institution where the student is enrolled.

Members of the Cincinnati Consortium include the Art Academy of Cincinnati, Athenaeum of Ohio, Chatfield College, Cincinnati Christian University, Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, College of Mount St. Joseph, Gateway Community and Technical College, God’s Bible School & College, Good Samaritan College of Nursing and Health Science, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, Miami University, Northern Kentucky University, Thomas More College, Union Institute & University, University of Cincinnati, Wilmington College, and Xavier University.

The One Stop can provide you with additional information.

Southwestern Ohio Council for Higher Education (SOCHE)

Full-time Miami students can take courses through the Southwestern Ohio Council for Higher Education (SOCHE) during the academic year and summer. SOCHE is the collaborative infrastructure for higher education, helping colleges and universities transform their communities and economies through the education, employment, and engagement of more than 120,000 students in southwest Ohio. This association can provide courses that are not generally available at the institution where the student is enrolled.

Members of the Southwestern Ohio Council for Higher Education include Air Force Institute of Technology, Antioch College, Antioch University Midwest, Cedarville University, Central Michigan University, Central State University, Cincinnati State – Middletown Campus, Clark State Community College, Edison Community College, Kettering College, The Kettering Foundation, Miami University Regionals, Sinclair Community College, Southern State Community College, Union Institute & University, University of Dayton, Urbana University, Wilberforce University, Wilmington College, Wittenberg University, and Wright State University.

The One Stop can provide you with additional information.

Other Regulations

Changes in Policy

For complete information on changes in any academic policy on student conduct, grievance procedures or petitions consult the University Policy Library. You are responsible for knowing about any changes in these policies that may affect you.

Electronic Directory

Miami’s electronic directory, like those of other institutions, is accessible worldwide across the Internet. To preserve the privacy of students, faculty, and staff, the following data is only accessible within the Miami University community:

  • University-supplied data:
    Division (staff, faculty)
    Office address (staff, faculty)
    Home address and phone number
       (students, staff, faculty; if authorized)
    School address and phone number (students)
  • Optional individual-supplied data:
    Pager e-mail address and phone number
    Mobile phone number
    Office hours
    High schools attended
    Other colleges attended

FERPA Release and Directory Restriction

Under provisions of the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA, Buckley Amendment), all students are able to request exclusion from the university's electronic directory.

All first time Miami students are included in the electronic directory beginning August 1st, but the student can request exclusion from the electronic directory by filling out a form available on the One Stop website (

Freshmen may do so any time prior to July 15; continuing students may do so at any time during his/her enrollment at Miami.

Exclusion requests are reflected in the electronic directory approximately 24 hours after being processed by the University Registrar’s Office. Emergency exclusions, requested by Miami University Police or the Office of Student Affairs, are processed as soon as possible by the IT Services.

Right to Privacy and Access: Student Records

Miami University maintains records on all Miami students that include academic and demographic information. To protect our students’ privacy, and to ensure that their records are accessible to them, Miami has designed a policy for maintaining and administering student records.

Miami’s policy is in compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). The complete policy is included in the online University Policy Library.


Registration Glossary

Academic action: Academic actions are defined as academic warning, removal of academic warning, academic probation, removal of academic probation, academic suspension, and academic dismissal. Academic actions are taken at the end of each fall and spring semester, and at the end of the summer term. Any student with a cumulative GPA of less than 2.00 is subject to academic action, regardless of the number of hours taken in any semester or summer term.

Academic record: A record of courses taken, grades received, and degrees earned by each student while attending Miami. It includes transfer credit, advanced placement credit, and other credit awarded or earned.

Admission prerequisites: See “High School Preparation” in the Admission chapter. If you did not complete these units in high school, you must complete additional courses at Miami. These courses count toward graduation and many fulfill other requirements. You must complete these units within your first 64 semester hours (normally, during your first two years). Questions about prerequisites should be directed to the Office of Admission.

Associate’s degree: Two-year degree, generally offered only on regional campuses. An associate's degree requires completion of 64 semester credit hours and should not exceed 65 semester credit hours unless it can be shown that the additional coursework is required to meet professional accreditation or licensing requirements.

Audit: You attend classes, but do not receive credit or a grade. The instructor may require you to take exams and participate in class discussion. Since not all courses can be audited, you must have the instructor’s written permission to audit. A course can be changed from credit to audit or audit to credit up to 60 percent of the class meetings. See the Grades chapter for more detail.

Bachelor’s degree: A four-year degree. Basic requirements include: (1) at least 124 semester hours—at least 32 must be from Miami; (2) at least a 2.00 cumulative GPA; (3) fulfillment of the Global Miami Plan; (4) fulfillment of divisional and major requirements.

Cancellation: If you do not pay your fees on time, your schedule will be cancelled. You will need to re-register.

CAS-A, B, etc.: Abbreviations for sections of the College of Arts and Science requirement. See the College of Arts and Science chapter.

Certificate program, graduate: A specialization program that enhances a graduate degree. Available to students who have been admitted to the Graduate School and have met program prerequisites for a graduate degree.

Certificate program, undergraduate: A formal award certifying the satisfactory completion of an organized program of study at the postsecondary level and typically carrying 12-18 credits. Certificates should be designed as: (1) supplementary to other degree programs by providing students with new competencies for professional development or lifelong learning; or (2) building blocks toward future degree completion.

Change of schedule (or drop/add): Dates and times when you can make changes in your term courses. Consult the academic calendar for specific dates and times.

Class standing: Freshmen have earned 0-29 semester hours; sophomores have earned 30-63 semester hours; juniors have earned 64-95 semester hours; seniors have earned 96 or more semester hours.

Closed class: When maximum enrollment in a course has been met, no more students can be accommodated.

Co-Major: is designed to provide a complementary perspective to a student’s primary major and carries at least 30 credits. Students receive the degree designation of their primary major with the co-major listed on the transcript. Some co-majors may have areas of concentration. Completion of the co-major may satisfy the Global Miami Plan thematic sequence requirement.

Co-requisite: A course that indicates the courses required to be taken in the same semester as the course in question. Co-requisites are indicated in General Bulletin course descriptions.

Course level: (See Course number below.) 100-level courses are generally introductory; 200-level more advanced; 300 and 400-levels for juniors and seniors; 500 and above for graduate students.

Course modifier: A letter or numeric symbol designating a different content within a general course.

Course number: Three-digit number that follows a departmental abbreviation used to identify a course, for example ENG 111. The course number is an indication of course level.

Course reference number (CRN): A five-digit code used to identify each section of a course for registration. It is in effect only for the current term.

Credit/no-credit: No grades are received for these courses. You will get credit for a D- or better; you do not get credit if your grade is lower. Credit/no-credit courses are not figured in your GPA. No more than 10 percent of your course work can be taken on a credit/no-credit basis, and usually you cannot take courses in your major this way. Freshmen may register for courses on a credit/no-credit basis, providing they are concurrently enrolled for 12 semester hours for grades. After 20 percent of the class meetings, you cannot change from credit/no-credit to a letter grade or from a letter grade to credit/no-credit. See the Grades chapter for more detail.

Degree Audit Report: A report of your completed course work and current registration matched with degree requirements of your declared major; it identifies deficiencies and lists courses to satisfy specific requirements. Degree audits are available online at

Division: An academic part of the university with its own requirements. Miami has seven divisions: College of Arts and Science, College of Creative Arts, College of Education, Health and Society, College of Engineering and Computing, Farmer School of Business, Graduate School, and College of Liberal Studies and Applied Science.

Doctoral Degree: The highest award a student can earn for graduate study. Doctoral degrees generally require the successful completion of at least 90 semester credit hours (or 135 quarter credit hours) of work beyond the bachelor’s degree or at least 60 semester credit hours (or 90 quarter credit hours) beyond the master’s degree. Deviations from these credit hour guidelines require proper justification and state approval. The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is a research degree and involves preparation for the conduct of independent research and the discovery of new knowledge. Doctoral degrees may also recognize preparation for professional practice.

Incomplete grade: May be assigned when a student and an instructor formally agree to a plan to complete unfinished course work. See Grades section for more detail.

Independent Work: see full definition

Late registration: Late registration is held just before the term begins for new students who have not registered.

Lec., Lab.: Lecture and laboratory abbreviations in course descriptions to indicate credit hours in each (for example, 3 Lec. 1 Lab.).

Major: is a curriculum component that enables students to make an in-depth inquiry into a discipline or a professional field of study. It is organized around a specific set of goals, objectives and student learning outcomes that are accomplished through an ordered series of courses whose connections define an internal structure. A major that focuses on a discipline typically draws its courses predominantly from one department. A major that encompasses a professional field of study or is interdisciplinary usually obtains its courses from more than one department/division.
Departments or divisions have the responsibility for administering majors within their unit and for approving particular programs of study and appropriate course substitutions for students. Those departments involved with interdisciplinary majors perform the same functions as individual departments. Students may not declare a major and a minor in the same discipline.

Per the Ohio Department of Higher Education guidelines, a major must comprise a minimum of 30 semester hours in a particular discipline.

Master’s Degree: An award that requires the successful completion of at least 30 semester credit hours of work beyond the bachelor’s degree. Master’s degrees such as the Master of Arts and the Master of Science are typically considered research graduate degrees, and involve preparation to carry out research and to discover new knowledge—whether the field is pure or applied. Master’s degrees may also recognize preparation for professional practice.

Miami Plan (MPF): Miami’s liberal education requirement. See the Miami Plan chapter.

Minor: is a designated sequence of courses in a discipline or area of undergraduate study. Like the major, it is expected to have coherence and increasing sophistication. A minor is 18 (minimum) and typically up to 24 credit hours, or approximately half of the major. The minor is independent of the student’s major and students may not declare a major and a minor in the same discipline. Completion of the minor typically satisfies the Global Miami Plan thematic sequence requirement, as long as 9 hours of the minor are outside the department of the student’s major (or outside of the division for majors in the Farmer School of Business) and 6 of those 9 hours are at the 200 level or higher. Students must formally declare a minor, similar to the process by which they declare the major. Minors are designated on University transcripts.

MPC: Miami Plan Capstone Experience abbreviation used in course descriptions. Indicates that the course fulfills that requirement.

MPF: Global Miami Plan Foundation course abbreviation used in course descriptions. Indicates that the course fulfills a part of that requirement. Additional abbreviations to MPF (for example, MPF IIA, IIIB) indicate which foundation area(s) that course fulfills.

MPT: Miami Plan Thematic Sequence abbreviation used in course descriptions. Indicates that the course fulfills a part of that requirement.

MUNet password: By default, your password is the month and day of your birth and the last four digits of your Social Security number in the format mmddnnnn. Please include the leading zero for single digit months and days. For example, a birth date of March 1 with Social Security number 123-45-6789 would have a default password of "03016789". For security reasons, you will be required to change your default password to another value the first time you login to myMiami. In addition, to create a new password, you will have the opportunity to create a Secret Question/Answer that can be used in the event that you forget your password. You will then be required to change your password every six months. To change your password, go to For login problems, contact the IT Services Support Desk through myMiami at

myMiami: Miami University's web portal. myMiami contains links to BannerWeb, the online campus directory, Knowledge Base, and other Miami services, as well as information about university offices, activities and news and events. myMiami can be accessed from anywhere in the world at using your Unique ID, MUNet password, and web browser.

Nontraditional credit: College credit given for a nonacademic learning experience, such as knowledge you have acquired from a military service or your own study. For information, contact the One Stop for Student Success Services.

Placement exams: Offered in foreign languages, mathematics, chemistry and physics to help you enroll in an appropriate first course for your skill level.

Prerequisite: Course(s) that are approximations of the necessary specific or general academic knowledge, background, or semester classification required to succeed academically in a specific course. This is indicated in a course description of the Courses of Instruction section of this General Bulletin.

Proficiency exams: Tests used to obtain credit in subjects for which you have adequate preparation. Each department administers its own test, and credit applies toward graduation. You must pass the test with a C or better to earn credit. See the Fees and Expenses chapter.

Section: One class of a course. Courses with large enrollments are divided into sections. Sections are identified by letters, for example ART 171A, ART 171B. Each section has a unique CRN.

Semester credit hour: Unit used to measure course work. The number of credit hours is usually based on the number of hours per week the class meets; for example, a three-hour course typically meets three times a week for 55 minutes each time. One credit hour is usually assigned for two or three hours in laboratory and studio courses.

Sprint course standards: Courses that meet for less than the full 14 week term. The sprint parts of term are Q, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z. Sprint course meeting dates are listed in the course schedule.

Terminal degree: A degree that is either highest on the academic track or highest on the professional track in a given field of study. At Miami, the terminal degrees offered are doctoral degrees or Master of Fine Arts (MFA) which is a terminal degree for creative field in the visual and performing arts as well as creative writing. The MFA degrees carry at least 35 semester hours.

Time conflicts: Registration/Change of Schedule checks for time conflicts and will not permit you to add courses that meet at overlapping times.

Transcript: An official copy of your academic record.

Unique ID: Every student, faculty, and staff member has been issued a Unique ID to identify them in the processing of university information. It consists of the first six letters of the last name, followed by the first and middle initials. Some Unique IDs end in a number rather than a middle initial because common last names and initials mean that a particular Unique ID is already in use. The Unique ID is not case sensitive. Both your Unique ID and MUNet password are required to login to Miami's web portal, myMiami.

Variable credit hours: Range of credit hours for courses (usually independent study, special topics, thesis hours). Indicated with cumulative maximum in course description; for example (2-8; maximum 16).